1. What are the benefits of LIFE membership?
• Participate in any of our courses, clubs, walks and events;
• Borrowing privileges to the Ryerson University’s Library (both on-site and digital);
• Access to Ryerson’s Recreation Centres;
• Free WiFi while on the Ryerson Campus;
• Opportunities to take courses in our dedicated LIFE computer education lab (CEL).
• Living Life Newsletter
2. How much does a LIFE membership cost?
A membership to The LIFE Institute is $80 per person per year and is valid for one year beginning July 1 and ending June 30 of the following year*.
Couples memberships and partial-year memberships are not available. Each person in your household who wishes to join must register separately for a one-year membership.
(*Please Note: Membership fees are not prorated according to the date of purchase.
e.g. A membership purchased in October 2019 would still cost $80 and be valid till June 30,, 2020.)
3. Do I need to purchase a membership before I can enroll in a course or event?
Yes. Everyone who wishes to participate in any of our activities must first purchase a LIFE membership.
4. How do I purchase or renew a membership and register for courses and events?
New memberships, renewals and registering for courses and events can be purchased ONLINE only.
Walk-in, email, fax, and phone-in memberships and course registrations will not be accepted.
5. What do I need to purchase a membership or register for courses and events?
To join or register for courses, you must have your own personal email address.
6. Why do I need my own email address?
A personal email address gives you a secure online account in which you can register for courses and events, renew your membership, and receive important information.
7. Can I join or register with an email address that I share with someone else?
No. Each member must have their own separate email account.
If you currently share an email address with a partner, friend, relative or colleague who also wishes to join, only one of you will be able create a membership account with that email address.
You or your partner, friend, relative or colleague will need to set up a separate email account.
FREE email accounts are available from Google (Gmail) or Microsoft (Hotmail). You may also want to contact your internet service provider (e.g. Bell, Rogers, etc.) to see what they may offer.
To create a Gmail account, click here. To create a Hotmail account, click here.
8. How do I purchase a membership or register for courses?
You will need:
• A computer or portable device (such as an iPad or tablet) with internet access;
• a personal email address to set up a membership account and sign in;
• a valid credit card for payment.
a) Go to the secure Join Life page and fill out the online membership form.
b) On the checkout page, fill in your billing and payment Information.
c) Click the BUY NOW button at the bottom of the page.
d) When payment is validated, your purchase will be confirmed.
e) Confirmation of your payment and account sign-in instructions will be sent shortly in two separate emails.
If you’d prefer a printed copy of the Course Calendar mailed to your home, a charge may apply.
Please contact the LIFE office at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
9. How do I renew my membership?
To renew an existing membership, first sign in to your account on the LIFE website.
On the Renew My Membership page, check that all the information on the Online Membership Form is correct and up to date (especially your email address!) and click the SUBMIT and CHECKOUT buttons at the bottom of the page. You will then be directed to the Checkout page.
On the Checkout page, check to see that your Billing and Payment Information is correct and then click the BUY NOW button at the bottom of the page. You will receive confirmation of your renewal as soon as your credit card is validated.
10. I’d really like to join and take courses but I’m on a tight budget. What can I do?
LIFE’s Ombuddy will assist members who have special financial needs. If you are experiencing difficulties paying your fees, or if you have any other problems you wish to discuss confidentially, please contact your Ombuddy:
Jack Marmer email@example.com
11. If I change my mind after joining, can I get a refund for my membership?
A refund of membership fees will only be considered upon written request and may be subject to an administration charge.
Please email your written request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In lieu of a refund, you may want to consider donating your fees to The LIFE Institute Student Award Fund. A charitable tax receipt will be issued for donations over $25.
For more information on The LIFE Institute Student Award Fund, go to the DONATE page on our website.